ISSUES: Physical distancing is often an unpleasant experience for those who undergo it. We are social animals, some more than others. Successful use of physical distancing as a health measure requires us to reduce, as far as possible, the negative effects associated with it. These negative effects include:
- Spiritual health decline, and a sense of hopelessness, and loss of purpose
- Social health decline, loneliness, and decreased self-image
- Physical health decline, overeating, and a feeling of lost control
- Mental health decline, loss of perspective, defensiveness
- Dissatisfaction with current lifestyle, restlessness, lack of commitment to personal goals
STRATEGIES: Don't settle with survival or maintaining current health, but strive towards increased wellness.
- Conduct a lifestyle assessment. This doesn’t need to be anything fancy. Just take a moment and reflect on your current lifestyle in terms of pathology prevention. Look at each of the 8 Health Guardian’s practices listed on our homepage. You may eventually want to dig deeper and consider every pathology prevention practice, but first only consider the 8. Are you doing everything you can at that level? If not, drill down into and get some ideas for improvement.
- Create a check list, and try to view yourself through the nine perspectives of psychology. Remember to claim extra sleep during time of emotional stress.
- Go for walks, wave to people, participate in your community, cherish your humanity.
- Leverage technology where you can, and when you need to, but put extra effort into visiting people from a distance.
- Practice caregiving, serve others.
INTERACTIONS: Expect seemingly unrelated difficulties. We live in a complex system, when we make changes, we’re bound to cause unexpected results. Make time to deal with these changes. Other people may not understand, you may have to explain your behavior to people that you’d think new better. Stay calm, soon, the correct expectations will evolve into status quo and your social norm.
WARNINGS: Physical distancing is about change for most people. You may receive resistance; the clearer you can be with your expectations, the more success you'll be. However, there are times you may run into difficulties. Don't be afraid to get professional help if you need to.